• A Wetpaint Site
Already a member?
Sign in
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: gps

Keyword tags: 6800 bell GPS ppc6800
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

Anonymous
gps
Dec 10 2007, 6:59 PM EST
does anyone know if I add a gps receiver the the htc 6800 and add pockets streets and trips, if it will work. I currently have a GPS receiver to that connects to my laptop via USB. My next question, do they sell a connection adapter that will allow me to connect a regular usb plug to my htc 6800?
Thank you in advance
Do you find this valuable?    
browntannis
browntannis
RE: gps
Dec 11 2007, 10:24 AM EST
"does anyone know if I add a gps receiver the the htc 6800 and add pockets streets and trips, if it will work. I currently have a GPS receiver to that connects to my laptop via USB. My next question, do they sell a connection adapter that will allow me to connect a regular usb plug to my htc 6800?
Thank you in advance"
Umm yeah it should work as long as the GPS software will work on your device. I used to have the 8525 and used the Globastat GPS receiver with Telenav before I got my Tilt. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Mooseman2
Mooseman2
Dec 17 2007, 10:48 PM EST
Should work with a BlueTooth GPS receiver. I don't have one myself by according to other posters, there is a general problem with BlueTooth but seems to be mostly with headsets. No, there is no USB to MicroSD adapter to allow you to use your existing GPS puck. I have the Pharos/Microsoft one too. I did have a CompactFlash adapter for the puck for my old PPC (Asus A620) but I have been unable to find a wired adapter. There are BlueTooth adapters available on eBay for these pucks. It has its own battery to power the puck and transmit via BlueTooth. with shipping and all, it comes out to be as expensive as a whole unit. Search on eBay for "Pharos bluetooth".

BUT, if you wait a bit, we should be getting an update to enable the already included GPS chipset:
http://www.america.htc.com/support/mogul/software-downloads.html
"Additionally, HTC is currently developing a separate ROM update which enables the EV-DO Rev. A and GPS capabilities that are already built into the Mogul hardware. Sprint and HTC plan to make this software ROM available in early 1Q 2008. Please bookmark this page for easy reference.

Posted November 29, 2007"

If Bell doesn't make this update available to Bell clients, we should make some NOISE!

Anonymous
Monday, 11:59 AM EDT
"does anyone know if I add a gps receiver the the htc 6800 and add pockets streets and trips, if it will work. I currently have a GPS receiver to that connects to my laptop via USB. My next question, do they sell a connection adapter that will allow me to connect a regular usb plug to my htc 6800?
Thank you in advance"
I just called Sprint to see if there was a ROM update for my phone, and they said that an upgrade just came out for the 6800 that will enable the internal GPS reciever. I'm not sure if this will work for, say, TomTom software, but you may not need an external GPS anymore. Hopefully this comes out soon for my 6900! Do you find this valuable?    
Mooseman2
Mooseman2
Monday, 9:26 PM EDT
"I just called Sprint to see if there was a ROM update for my phone, and they said that an upgrade just came out for the 6800 that will enable the internal GPS reciever. I'm not sure if this will work for, say, TomTom software, but you may not need an external GPS anymore. Hopefully this comes out soon for my 6900!"
I checked HTC's download page for the Sprint Mogul 6800 and it hasn't changed yet.
http://www.america.htc.com/support/mogul/software-downloads.html

According to those using the leaked version of this ROM it works with most mapping software.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)