• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: dash screen crackedThis is a featured thread

2 3 4 5  | Next > Last

Anonymous
dash screen cracked
Mar 28 2007, 10:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 28 2007, 10:12 PM EDT
i found out the hard way tonight that the screen cracks very easily. is there any way to get a replacement screen or have this repaired? only 3 weeks old
38  out of 42 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
1. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 1 2007, 10:53 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 1 2007, 10:53 AM EDT
Hi,
I found out the same thing. I have sent an email to HTC repair, and I am hoping for a positive answere. BTW, I have had the insurance program from T-Mobile (Assurant) for several years now, on several different phones. What a rip off!!!! I tried to make a claim, and they told me it would be $110 dollars for the deductible. I got the phone for free, when I signed up. I have paid enough money over time to practically buy a new one at retail. Buyer beware I guess!!!!
7  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
2. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 1 2007, 6:51 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 1 2007, 6:51 PM EDT
And a new Dash WITHOUT a new contract would be how much? I assume it is way more than the $110 you would have to pay without the insurance on your phone.
4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
3. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 1 2007, 8:45 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 1 2007, 8:45 PM EDT
I have had my dash for 3 weeks as well. Picked the phone up with one hand, which put a little stress on the left side of the screen, and cracked the LCD.

Searching online leads me to believe that it is a defective product design versus abuse by the user.

I emailed HTC as well, and am waiting for a response. I know I will avoid any HTC products in the future if they don't stand behind a 3 week old product failing. I won't put another cent into the phone knowing the screen can crack so easily. If you have one with a cracked screen, push gently on either side and see how much the screen flexs (wouldn't recommend with a functioning screen as it will probably crack from doing this)
7  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
4. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 1 2007, 10:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 1 2007, 10:00 PM EDT
"I have had my dash for 3 weeks as well. Picked the phone up with one hand, which put a little stress on the left side of the screen, and cracked the LCD.

Searching online leads me to believe that it is a defective product design versus abuse by the user.

I emailed HTC as well, and am waiting for a response. I know I will avoid any HTC products in the future if they don't stand behind a 3 week old product failing. I won't put another cent into the phone knowing the screen can crack so easily. If you have one with a cracked screen, push gently on either side and see how much the screen flexs (wouldn't recommend with a functioning screen as it will probably crack from doing this)"
mine doesnt flex at all. mine cracked from falling off my lap actually
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
5. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 2 2007, 12:16 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 2 2007, 12:16 PM EDT
Thats great that you got the phone for free (it probably was with an act?) however, $110 is a steal to get a new one considering the full cost is over $400. So i guess you have a problem with car insurance too, considering that if you wreck your car you have to pay a deductible. THEY JUST DON'T give you a new car do they??????
4  out of 17 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
6. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 3 2007, 5:10 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 3 2007, 5:10 PM EDT
"mine doesnt flex at all. mine cracked from falling off my lap actually"
Maybe it's the way mine is cracked, but if you put slight pressure anywhere around the screen, you can see the colors changing on the LCD. And I am not talking about pushing on the screen, but on the black rubber around it. I assume it's flexing, or the LCD wouldn't be affected by that pressure.

Anonymous
7. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 4 2007, 9:17 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 4 2007, 9:17 AM EDT
I have run into the same issue. This is the second Dash that I have had where the LCD has cracked. I am on the line with T-mobile now because I have had this one for less than a week.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
8. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 4 2007, 10:25 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 4 2007, 10:25 AM EDT
"Maybe it's the way mine is cracked, but if you put slight pressure anywhere around the screen, you can see the colors changing on the LCD. And I am not talking about pushing on the screen, but on the black rubber around it. I assume it's flexing, or the LCD wouldn't be affected by that pressure."
sounds like you probably have a defective one because even with mine cracked and distorted it doesnt do that. i'll call HTC about a warranty defect before more happens to it
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
9. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 6 2007, 3:26 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2007, 3:26 PM EDT
Mine cracked within 2 months of buying it. Then within 7 days of getting it back 'poof'' it’s cracked again. And to you folks that are giving the guy here that is bummed about paying the insurance... Hey you should expect a good product that LASTS!!!! This phone has been out less than a year and it's already broken. Mine has been broken twice. These things are not built to last!!! My treo 600 is a touch screen so it has no protective piece over the screen has never had a problem in like 2 or 3 years. This one has a piece of acrylic over the screen and it still is junk.. I am pissed too.
6  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
10. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 9 2007, 9:51 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2007, 9:51 AM EDT
For those interested in repairing on their own for a little cheaper i'm told this place will sell you parts only: http://www.onsitecellularrepair.com/
and you can find a how-to-disassemble video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM6Zl6yv3rA
5  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
11. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 12 2007, 7:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2007, 7:46 AM EDT
This is crazy. i dropped my HTC S620 / Dopod C720W, and the screen cracked. I was suprized that it broke so easily.

It took me over a month to get it fixed, and cost me US$150. I contemplated hard on whether to spend this money to fix it as i was seriously upset that the phone broke so easily.

Anyway, when i got my phone back, i noticed that they got me a new phone instead of fixing it. So I'm not sure whether that is a good thing. The phone has been acting funny however, shutting off every couple of hours probably from not charging properly.

The phone is great except for this defect !!
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
12. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 12 2007, 6:10 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2007, 6:10 PM EDT
HTC said that they would fix my LCD, and that all i had to do was send it in.(since only 7 days earlier i got my phone back from them with the exact same repair) Then just as soon as they get my phone, they call me and tell me that they will not warrantee the fix. I would never have sent it in if i knew that i has to send ANOTHER $130. But they don't care.. Do your self a favor don't buy a DASH or get your screen fixed. You will get screwed!

Anonymous
13. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 12 2007, 6:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2007, 6:12 PM EDT
What was the outcome?Did you get it fixed again??
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
14. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 12 2007, 6:46 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2007, 6:46 PM EDT
"This is crazy. i dropped my HTC S620 / Dopod C720W, and the screen cracked. I was suprized that it broke so easily. "

You are suprised that your dash screen cracked AFTER you dropped it? Come on! Why would you think your cell phone/PDA would be indestructible?
2  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
15. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 13 2007, 11:07 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 13 2007, 11:07 AM EDT
I've just called about getting a replacement for the second time this year. The phone was not dropped and seemingly, there no reason for the screen to crack. The clear plastic lcd covering is in tact but the lcd looks like an "ink blot" test. You can see the menu items at the bottom but everything above is white with black splotch. T-mobile has been good about sending replacements but just how "delicate" are these things? It's a pain to have to reset and reload everything each time I get a new phone.

Anonymous
16. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 13 2007, 5:30 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 13 2007, 5:30 PM EDT
"I've just called about getting a replacement for the second time this year. The phone was not dropped and seemingly, there no reason for the screen to crack. The clear plastic lcd covering is in tact but the lcd looks like an "ink blot" test. You can see the menu items at the bottom but everything above is white with black splotch. T-mobile has been good about sending replacements but just how "delicate" are these things? It's a pain to have to reset and reload everything each time I get a new phone."
Keep your phone in a padded case, like the one that comes with the phone. That should protect the screen.

Don't put the phone in your pocket, purse, backpack, coat etc, where the Dash can get easily bumped and the screen cracked.

BTW, I had the same situation numerous times with my very old Treo PDA's (not phones). Screens cracked due to my stupidity...such as stowed in a backpack and a fellow student stepping on the pack.

1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
17. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 14 2007, 2:15 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 14 2007, 2:15 AM EDT
If any of you guys need an LCD, contact me, I can either replace it for you, or get you the replacement part. Email is myztikal47@ gmail.com
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
18. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 15 2007, 3:33 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 15 2007, 3:33 AM EDT
i did some research on the screen cracking, seems that most of them crack in the same spot. lower left corner above the "start" displayed on the phone. Is that were yours is cracked? <------question to all.
8  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
19. RE: dash screen cracked
Apr 15 2007, 3:43 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 15 2007, 3:43 AM EDT
Hey guys, I wrote a guide on how to take apart the Dash too, check it out

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1144276

Please email me or post in the thread if you found it useful. Thanks!
2 3 4 5  | Next > Last