• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: WPA versus WEPThis is a featured thread

This thread was saved to a page named WPA verus WEP May 23 2009, 6:46 AM EDT. what's this?Thread Saved to a PageThe full contents of individual threads can be easily exported to create an editable site content page. Converting threads into pages is a great means to create a more readable summary of information for all users.

Anonymous
WPA versus WEP
May 9 2008, 12:49 PM EDT | Post edited: May 9 2008, 12:49 PM EDT
i'm running a Linksys 350N router and i can connect to it with my Tilt when the security mode is WEP, but when set to WPA it keeps telling me my key is incorrect. should i be able to use WPA? it has that as an available mode in the Tilt.
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: routers Tilt WLAN

Anonymous
1. RE: WPA versus WEP
May 9 2008, 12:55 PM EDT | Post edited: May 9 2008, 12:55 PM EDT
WRT350N to be exact. thanks in advance for any assistance.
denco7
denco7
2. RE: WPA versus WEP
May 9 2008, 1:46 PM EDT | Post edited: May 9 2008, 1:46 PM EDT
"WRT350N to be exact. thanks in advance for any assistance."
Wired Equivalent Privacy ( WEP) is an older security mode and does not work with newer devices. WiFi Protected Access ( WPA ) is a newer more secure mode. My Tilt is connected to my home network as well as three computers, a laptop, four game systems, PSP, DS, and two iPods, using WPA security. I would suggest going back into you router settings and make sure thet you have set to WPA setting only, unless you need WEP for some older devices. Also check your network password settings. Your password must be at least 8 to 63 characters for WPA. There is a setting for 64 hexadecimal characters but overkill? My settings require me to have a key of exactly 13 characters because I access through both apple and non-apple devices. Hopefully this info helps, I don't have a Linksys but it sounds like a settings problem. Hopefully your manual ( linksys ) addresses this.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Anonymous
3. RE: WPA versus WEP
May 9 2008, 5:44 PM EDT | Post edited: May 9 2008, 5:44 PM EDT
i finally got on. all i did was refresh/change my password and it was accepted on the first attempt. the other password was a valid length. not sure why it didn't like it? anyway thanks for the reply.
jknapps
jknapps
4. Saved as a page
May 23 2009, 6:46 AM EDT | Post edited: May 23 2009, 6:46 AM EDT
This thread was saved as a page.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)