• A Wetpaint Site

Location: Configure Smartphone for Google Mobile Maps with Bluetooth GPS

Discussion: 8125 built in gpsThis is a featured thread

loislane877

loislane877
8125 built in gps
Dec 28 2007, 4:01 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 28 2007, 4:01 PM EST
okay HELP one thing i read said the HTC 8125 had built in GPS other things i read says it does not. i'd like to use my PDA as a navigator but do i HAVE to buy some separate GPS receiver???
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
browntannis
browntannis
1. RE: 8125 built in gps
Dec 31 2007, 2:39 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 31 2007, 2:39 PM EST
"okay HELP one thing i read said the HTC 8125 had built in GPS other things i read says it does not. i'd like to use my PDA as a navigator but do i HAVE to buy some separate GPS receiver???"
The 8125 does NOT have built in GPS. When I had that device, I bought a GlobalStat BT GPS receiver to use with it and Telenav. Worked great.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
CrowdedCranium
CrowdedCranium
2. RE: 8125 built in gps
Jul 30 2008, 2:07 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 30 2008, 2:07 PM EDT
Hi there, CrowdedCranium here in Oklahoma city.

A BT-359c found its way into my hardware collection http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-214-bt-359c.aspx

And the Bluetooth pairing of this GPS locator was simple enough. I have played with it a bit using Google map http://google/gmm which was already installed on this eBay cheapie sold as dead 8125 (the battery was lame and privacy speaker is dead). Employing the WiFi into the household 2wire portal the Google map was cute to walk around the yard. I did find that once it became marginal or lost signal the 8125 wanted to establish a data connection via the added expense GPRS data network which I would immediately cancel.

I have some brief experience with GPS stuff helping someone who was screwed by an eBay dealer that sent them a cheap Chinese GPS unit with only EU maps. Not good for US travel and play (they later bought a tomtom1). And from what I found very nearly everything was proprieted and locked to a proprietary device. The googmaps are nice but I noticed my neighbors old car in the drive. Sort of creepy in that they died five years ago. So, updated material seems to be in question with googlemap. As well as portability. Which is much more important in my opinion.

Are there "Vanilla" mapware programs that can run from the 8125 mini SD 2GB card? Could the Google map for an anticipated travel area be captured to the SD storage for "offline" movement?

Perhaps someone may have a suggested reading on this subject?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
CrowdedCranium
CrowdedCranium
3. RE: 8125 built in gps
Aug 9 2008, 1:30 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 9 2008, 1:30 PM EDT
I thought I would get back and touch bases. Then later start a new thread with my findings.

Having messed with the BT-359c Bluetooth GPS locator paired to my Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard). I had managed without trouble to use Google map with GPS location finder.

Most recently I had installed the Microsoft live search. It has an interesting voice search feature. Press talk on the map. Tell it what you want (--BARBECUE--), it thinks for about 5 seconds then shows a list of "did you says". Pick what you meant and it shows a list of Barbecue joints. Options to map, call, see web pages, etc.

This initially failed the GPS locator connection. And as is the subject of this area mentioned using the GPSID. Wow, what a bother.

However, on rolling through livesearch menu selections I did find a config list. It had a setting for use com#, my BT-359c configured to com6 for Gmap. So, I just set it to com6. And the live search started using the GPS locator. It seemed to be updating quite slow. And bounced around over a couple of blocks for a few minutes then settled in on a close proximity to my location. I did not see a setting selector within the live map configuration menu to set the rate up to 38.4 from its preset default of 9600 baud.

Per the Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings cab file? I could not make heads or tails of it. I have to read more on how to do a .cab, and read more on where is regedit and how to use he winmo5 regedit to manually input settings for the internal GPSID system.

Perhaps since the Goggle map connects up without a big riggamarole, Microcrap will get on the stick and refine their livemap software package. They do so love updates.

Just an afterthought. The Gmap on this HTC8125 is outdated. I should swap out to the current ver.

One other thing I liked when I looked through the live map was an option to cache 128mg on the storage card. That may be a large area to roam about.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)