• A Wetpaint Site

Discussion: HTC Touch & Sprite Backup NOT WORKING!This is a featured thread

Showing 5 posts

TempMatt
HTC Touch & Sprite Backup NOT WORKING!
Jul 10 2009, 7:29 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 10 2009, 7:29 PM EDT
Hello, I use Sprite Backup. I HAD an alltel HTC Touch w/ WM5 and got a new alltel HTC Touch w/ WM6.1. I originally backed up everything on my WM5 phone & tried to restore onto my new WM6.1 phone. The Restore did not work correctly. Here's what happened in a nutshell:

Before I restored on the 6.1 everything worked fine, including MMS etc...

I restored to the 6.1 phone and it was like 1/2 way done...my touchflo speeddial numbers/pics where 1/2 gone and out of order, MMS was missing completely, etc. I restored AGAIN on top of this 1st restore and it looked like everything was in place and correct including the touchflo speed dial, my SMS was in conversation mode but all in were there EXCEPT my MMS. All of my pic msgs were MISSING and the MMS capability was basically gone and not working. When I click on MMS on my phone's homepage it asks for me to select an account like text, email or outlook. BEFORE the restore(s) it asked for me to select SMS/MMS which is now NOT an option. if I try to send a pic msg anyway possibile or if I try receiving one from a friend it either does absolutely nothing or it will say downloading/sending 0%....and it stays on 0% until message failed pops up prompting me to try again later or cancel. If i try again, same exact thing.

PLEASE HELP ME FIND A SOLUTION!! MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thank you! [email protected]
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: HTC HTC Touch MMS Sprite
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
1. RE: HTC Touch & Sprite Backup NOT WORKING!
Jul 10 2009, 8:18 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 10 2009, 8:19 PM EDT
When you set up Sprite Backup you have options of what to backup. If you did a complete backup from your WM5 device including "System", and then tried to do a complete restore to a 6.1 device, you may have "clobbered" some of the 6.1 system files with the old 5.0 files. Many of the system files have the same names from one version of the OS to the next, so if you backed up "system" files, you probably have a combination of 5.0/6/1 System files on your device.

I would remove the storage card from the new device and do a hard reset. This will erase everything on the device except the ROM which contains the 6.1 system files. Then insert the old storage card and do your Sprite Restore from the old storage card, but make sure you set up the restore to NOT restore the system files. Post back if you need more help. Good Luck!

TempMatt
2. RE: HTC Touch & Sprite Backup NOT WORKING!
Jul 19 2009, 9:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 19 2009, 9:20 PM EDT
Thank you! I restored everything but the system data and my sms & mms now work...I DO have an ADDITIONAL question for you though:

I noticed that now when someone (who has already sent me 100's of sms's) sends me a sms their contact name changes to their phone number under SMS. All of their messages/my messages in our "text conversation" are there but their name changes for example sent 200 SMS's to "Ed". I restored and all is intact. When ed sends me a new SMS now his name changes from "Ed" to "5554065555"...his phone number. Do I need to activesync after a restore or how do i fix this problem?? I tried to restore the contacts ONLY and this did not work. I also click on his phone number under our message conversation and it said something like "this number is not saved under contacts, do u want to save".... The only thing I can think of is under contacts the phone #'s are like this "(555) 406-5555" and when their name changes all of a sudden it is in the format of 5554065555.

THANK YOU!
Sgarrela
Sgarrela
3. RE: HTC Touch & Sprite Backup NOT WORKING!
Jul 19 2009, 9:57 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 19 2009, 9:57 PM EDT
"Thank you! I restored everything but the system data and my sms & mms now work...I DO have an ADDITIONAL question for you though:

I noticed that now when someone (who has already sent me 100's of sms's) sends me a sms their contact name changes to their phone number under SMS. All of their messages/my messages in our "text conversation" are there but their name changes for example sent 200 SMS's to "Ed". I restored and all is intact. When ed sends me a new SMS now his name changes from "Ed" to "5554065555"...his phone number. Do I need to activesync after a restore or how do i fix this problem?? I tried to restore the contacts ONLY and this did not work. I also click on his phone number under our message conversation and it said something like "this number is not saved under contacts, do u want to save".... The only thing I can think of is under contacts the phone #'s are like this "(555) 406-5555" and when their name changes all of a sudden it is in the format of 5554065555.

THANK YOU!"
That's one I haven't heard before. Somehow the threading algorithm is not connecting the dots between "Ed" and the phone number. If you go to the old thread with the 200 SMS messages and tap on that and send Ed a text, when he replies to the text it will be interesting to see if it connects to the old thread or the new one. If it connects with the old thread, you're all set. If not, I would take a hard look at the contact record for Ed to see how the contact is filed. Look at the "File as" line in contacts. If you have it Filed As: Ed, it will be handled differently than if it is Filed As: 5554065555. Post back and let me know how it's working. Do you find this valuable?    

TempMatt
4. RE: HTC Touch & Sprite Backup NOT WORKING!
Jul 19 2009, 11:48 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 19 2009, 11:48 PM EDT
thanks for the help as always. actually, the thread with 200 from ed is the only thread. after my restore the 200 ed thread just basically had a name change. so the same thread is there, but the name within the thread changed from ed to phone number. and if i click on the phone number in the thread thats when it says the contact is not saved (even tho it is...under "ed" with that ph #). hopefully that makes sense. also i noticed that just a few minutes ago someone tried calling me that i have saved under contacts and their missed call says their phone number not their name... Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)