• A Wetpaint Site
Already a member?
Sign in
close
Welcome! Wikis are websites that everyone can build together. It's easy!

Discussion: [IMPORTANT] Tomtom with CompUSA X7501's

Keyword tags: None
Watch

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)

2 | Next
thevoodoo
thevoodoo
[IMPORTANT] Tomtom with CompUSA X7501's
Jul 16 2007, 1:09 AM EDT
I want to start an e-signature list of CompUSA X7501 users without Tomtom on their device for HTc Technical Support. Please post a reply to this comment with a registered account to have your device in the list. I will speak with them on Monday and maybe even hopefully get a mailing-list started. If enough of us post, they might start a streamlined support process for all of us who were sold demo devices, with no extra applications. Of course, there are no promises and I do not work for HTC ( I have just be working closely on the phone with technical support and they have been very good with returning phone calls).

I have been dealing with HTC Tech Support in regards to the missing applications on the CompUSA phones. They are currently investigating the sale of these phones, as I was assured that these units "WERE NOT MEANT TO BE SOLD".

More details of my dealings with tech support can be found at http://www.x7501.com/forum/X7501-TomTom-Not-Included-1184315469.html#3
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
jrkatc

jrkatc
RE: [IMPORTANT] Tomtom with CompUSA X7501's
Jul 16 2007, 10:43 AM EDT
What ever you need just say Do you find this valuable?    
azcaddman

azcaddman
Jul 16 2007, 11:10 AM EDT
the 2 i got, both had the 'test unit- not for sale' rom, flashed with the new one, and they work fine now.

as for tomtom, I didnt find anything in the manuals etc, stating that it was included, and I remember reading on one of the on-line preview sites them mentioning that the 2 diff from the UK, and US versions were the video conf camera, and tomtom being removed.

however.. the manual clearly states that sprite backup was to be included.. and it is not.
Do you find this valuable?    
thevoodoo
thevoodoo
Jul 16 2007, 5:44 PM EDT
Well, the manual that technical support was reading from included Tomtom in the instructions and it has been mentioned more than once in reviews. however, you could be right, but we will not find out until technical support gives us the official verdict.

Please remember this is not regarding ROM updates, but software applications not included in the ROM such as Tomtom.
azcaddman

azcaddman
Jul 16 2007, 9:11 PM EDT
mine came with 1 dvd, that contains outlook 07, and activesync, no other programs.

I assume if sprite/tomtom etc were to be included, they would be on an additional "extras' DVD/CD that wasn't in (either) box.
thevoodoo
thevoodoo
Jul 16 2007, 11:53 PM EDT
"mine came with 1 dvd, that contains outlook 07, and activesync, no other programs.

I assume if sprite/tomtom etc were to be included, they would be on an additional "extras' DVD/CD that wasn't in (either) box."
That is exactly why we are compiling this list. The HTC technician said that most probably such CDs are not included with Test items.

Whose side are you on anyway? :) LOL just kidding!
azcaddman

azcaddman
Jul 19 2007, 12:37 PM EDT
based on http://www.mobileplanet.com/ft.aspx?k=90671 it looks like it was only a 'teaser' version anyway, nothing to get too excited about Do you find this valuable?    
thevoodoo
thevoodoo
Jul 19 2007, 6:31 PM EDT
Well, I have heard from them. It seems to be that TeleNav comes instead of TomTom with the X7501. Do you find this valuable?    
keithwwalker

keithwwalker
Jul 19 2007, 7:31 PM EDT
More important than which GPS software was included, was that HTC did not indicate anywhere on the box that software WAS NOT included.

It was advertised as having GPS.

I don't care how good Telenav is, what was in the unit was a link to BUY the software.

To me that is deceptive advertising, and it drags down an otherwise excellent product.

Anonymous
Jul 22 2007, 8:57 AM EDT
Add me to the list. Mine was from Amazon. The boot screen says its not ment for resale. No Tom - Tom

,Cal

Anonymous
Jul 22 2007, 8:59 AM EDT
Add me to the list. Mine was from Amazon. The boot screen says its not ment for resale. No Tom - Tom. Also the install CD didn't work. The install program failed to run.

,Cal

Anonymous
Jul 23 2007, 9:37 PM EDT
My unit was updated by CompUSA to eliminate the "test" screen. Also supposed to update the software. Major email went out to all the Comp stores the day before I purchased my unit. Do you find this valuable?    
keithwwalker

keithwwalker
Jul 23 2007, 10:33 PM EDT
Yes, the 'patch' is on this page already:
http://htcwiki.com/page/Advantage

kww

Anonymous
Jul 25 2007, 10:16 PM EDT
"I want to start an e-signature list of CompUSA X7501 users without Tomtom on their device for HTc Technical Support. Please post a reply to this comment with a registered account to have your device in the list. I will speak with them on Monday and maybe even hopefully get a mailing-list started. If enough of us post, they might start a streamlined support process for all of us who were sold demo devices, with no extra applications. Of course, there are no promises and I do not work for HTC ( I have just be working closely on the phone with technical support and they have been very good with returning phone calls).

I have been dealing with HTC Tech Support in regards to the missing applications on the CompUSA phones. They are currently investigating the sale of these phones, as I was assured that these units "WERE NOT MEANT TO BE SOLD".

More details of my dealings with tech support can be found at http://www.x7501.com/forum/X7501-TomTom-Not-Included-1184315469.html#3"
same here test copy and no tomtom from compusa sms03 Do you find this valuable?    
thevoodoo
thevoodoo
Jul 26 2007, 6:58 AM EDT
"same here test copy and no tomtom from compusa sms03"
Well,

Sadly it seems like Tomtom was not supposed to be included anyway. However you can use a great substitue that is included called TeleNav. You can read the details of Tomtom not being included here http://www.x7501.com/forum/X7501-TomTom-Not-Included-1184315469.html

And you can read about the TeleNav here http://www.x7501.com/forum/HTC-Advantage-TeleNav-30-Day-Trial-1184802739.html

Anonymous
Jul 28 2007, 11:17 PM EDT
"Well,

Sadly it seems like Tomtom was not supposed to be included anyway. However you can use a great substitue that is included called TeleNav. You can read the details of Tomtom not being included here http://www.x7501.com/forum/X7501-TomTom-Not-Included-1184315469.html

And you can read about the TeleNav here http://www.x7501.com/forum/HTC-Advantage-TeleNav-30-Day-Trial-1184802739.html"
what are the gps hardware settings cant find a signal mention in the menus. Telenav is a pay service not a real gps. The gps should work even without cell service Do you find this valuable?    
mrgids
mrgids
Sep 1 2007, 8:34 PM EDT
I also bought one of the first one at Compusa that give the message about test only, know GPS or sprite backup on the unit Do you find this valuable?    

Anonymous
Sep 3 2007, 6:11 PM EDT
I just bought mine from Compusa on Aug 31st. I asked to see the machine out of the box, turned on. I questioned them about the "test only - not for sale", but was told that was simply an error that wouldn't show up after I used it several times. What a big lie.
I have downloaded the new version of ROM, but am having to soft set repeatedly. Also my camera button on the side of the unit doesn't work. Must start camera from the programs file.
[email protected]

Anonymous
Sep 7 2007, 9:26 PM EDT
"I want to start an e-signature list of CompUSA X7501 users without Tomtom on their device for HTc Technical Support. Please post a reply to this comment with a registered account to have your device in the list. I will speak with them on Monday and maybe even hopefully get a mailing-list started. If enough of us post, they might start a streamlined support process for all of us who were sold demo devices, with no extra applications. Of course, there are no promises and I do not work for HTC ( I have just be working closely on the phone with technical support and they have been very good with returning phone calls).

More details of my dealings with tech support can be found at http://www.x7501.com/forum/X7501-TomTom-Not-Included-1184315469.html#3"
I bought my unit from CompUSA and it was one of the three the store got in their initial shipment. One of the units, for sure, had the demo ROM. Mine was just fine and no Application Disk was in the box either. So it is not just the Demo units. No Sprite and no TomTom. Use my name if you like but I doubt that HTC will supply this software. After all, the price is considerably less than the X7500 which came with the applications.
Brad Miter
mculver

mculver
Oct 18 2007, 9:29 AM EDT
Mine is not a test ROM, and no Tom-Tom. I bought it preceisely because they advertised TomTom, and it HAS to have a GPS, because I run another app that needs one. Going back to the store now to find out what's up... Do you find this valuable?    
2 | Next